Sunday, February 14, 2010

lucille clifton (1936-2010)

poet lucille clifton died yesterday. here's one of my favourite poems by her:

sorrows

who would believe them winged
who would believe they could be

beautiful         who would believe
they could fall so in love with mortals

that they would attach themselves
as scars attach and ride the skin


sometimes we hear them in our dreams
rattling their skulls         clicking their bony fingers

envying our crackling hair
our spice filled flesh


they have heard me beseeching
as I whispered into my own

cupped hands       enough not me again
enough       but who can distinguish

one human voice   
amid such choruses of   desire


-- lucille clifton


song of the day: man of the hour by pearl jam.

1 comment:

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.